Yoo Nork

I was lucky enough to spend the weekend in New York, (or Yoo Nork if you ask Meema) with a friend from back home, TP. She and her family have been travelling around the US for a couple of months and planned to come and stay with us at the end of October. She and Hutch organised to send me to NY on the train while Pato and the kids came up to Boston to have a dads and kids weekend. Hutch is not great at keeping secrets from me, and accidentally sent me the Amtrak reservation a week before we were due to leave. Whoops. I was happy to know in advance, it meant I could spend the week getting excited about 48 hours kid free time in a most amazing city.

TP is a very organised person so by the time I got to Penn Station she’d booked dinner for both nights and brunch on Saturday. I must say it made things so much easier not having to decide what to do.

Friday night we wandered up to the Met in Central Park to go up to the rooftop and look over the city. Did you know you don’t actually have to pay the $25 entrance fee to the Met if you say you’re going up to the rooftop? We made a very small donation and took our time going up to the top floor. Unfortunately the bar was shut but the view was still spectacular. If only I had a decent camera and actually had some skill in photography I’d have a great shot to show you.

TP had some new shoes on, bought in a bit of a hurry which turned out to be were way too big so we took our time strolling down 5th Avenue to Tao for dinner. Vibe was amazing. A busy friday night, loud music, huge restaurant and great food. It’s asian fusion, so a little bit of this and a little bit of that. TP had the Ginger scallion broth with kobe beef that came with its own hot stone and candle so we could dip the beef in the broth to cook it lightly, fondue style. I finished off with the biggest fortune cookie I’ve ever seen, filled with dark and white chocolate mousse.

IMG_5155 IMG_5153

We crashed pretty quickly, both enjoying having a bed to ourselves with no small people needing a cuddle in the middle of the night.

Brunch the next morning was at Pastis, in the meatpacking district. Think busy French Bistro in a funky part of town. With much better shoes we decided we needed to walk off a big eggy meal so we wandered across the Highline, an old freight railway track that runs down the east side of Manhattan about four storeys above ground. I had my first celebrity spotting moment when I saw Emily Mortimer, an English actress currently starring in The Newsroom. I heard her before I saw her, the accent stood out a mile. Back across town to ground zero which was understandably busy with other tourists. The Freedom Tower is nearly done but the rest of the development is still a few years away. I left New York on September 9 2001 and was at the top of the twin towers on the 8th. I remember seeing the towers go down on TV and feeling so lucky that I’d left the USA. TP and Pato were living in NYC at the time of the attack and knew people who were affected, it really doesn’t seem that long ago. I don’t know if I’d want to work in that building, it seems like it’s tempting fate a little.

After ground zero we crossed the Brooklyn Bridge, the day was cold and windy but sunny and the view of Manhattan from Brooklyn is pretty good. We’d been talking solidly the whole day, TP and I have known each other since our sons were born, so we filled in the pre-kids stuff, you know, what we did in our twenties, how we got engaged, married and all that jazz. That kind of conversation doesn’t really happen when you’re pushing kids on a swing, or making sure they’re not running onto a road.

IMG_5156 IMG_5159

Catching the subway back to Manhattan we had the obligatory visit to Victoria’s Secret, half an hour shopping was enough for both of us. Dinner that night was early – 6pm  – so we headed straight to La Esquina in Little Italy. First impressions were not great. It looks like a diner attached to a building, a few bar stools and a taco truck type kitchen. TP had been recommended it by a few people so was a little confused that it had come so highly regarded. We were told to queue by the door and wait.

So we did.

At 6 on the dot an internal door opened and a harried looking lady with a walkie talkie greeted us and ticked us off her list. We were sent down stairs, through the kitchen where we saw the chefs mincing meat and prepping for the night’s service. Handing our belongings in at the coat room we were directed around another corner and came out in an underground cave. I’m not sure if it’s an old subway tunnel or sewer but it’s amazing. A fantastic bar with a million types of tequila, and seating below a row of corona buckets suspended from the ceiling. We left the ordering of our food to the waiter and shared five different meals. I must say the food wasn’t brilliant, quite a few of the dishes felt like they’d been in the fridge too long and what should have been room temperature was a little too cold. Saying that, as far as a cool New York experience goes it was impressive.

Because we’d had such an early reservation we were done by 730 and TP had one more place to show me. Off to Pravda we went. A Russian vodka bar, beneath Lafayette St. Barely sign posted, with a red light at the top of a staircase you had to know what you were looking for. A few cocktails here, we stayed a few hours trying a variety of flavours (I don’t recommend the horseradish vodka) and we stumbled above ground in a very jovial mood. (Can I just interrupt for a moment, both Tao and Pravda try to be tricky in their bathrooms, Tao is marked Yin and Yang and Pravda is written in Russian. How’s a girl to know which one to use???)

The Red Sox were playing in the World Series finals, not something to be mentioned in Yankee town but I was keen to know the score. We got back to the hotel and saw the last five minutes of the game and fell into a slumber. I woke up the next morning regretting not having a glass of water by my bed and quite a manly voice which cleared up after the first coffee.

Sunday’s plan was fairly fluid, a late breakfast and a wander up to MOMA before catching the train back to Boston. MOMA didn’t thrill me this time and I’m a big fan of modern art, it was just a bit too full of interpretive dance and art critic wankery. My last visit five years ago was much better. I do like a bit of Lichtenstein though.


We sat very happily on the train with Kindles and devices in hand and occasionally looked out the window to see the gorgeous country side.  Autumn is truly a glorious time of year to be in the North East.

The dads had a great weekend, we were all glad to be back together and get ready for the excitement of Halloween.


2 thoughts on “Yoo Nork

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s